The Metamora Wind Ensemble is a select group of young musicians, constructed in a traditional Wind Ensemble format, who audition each March for placement in next year’s band. The ensemble performs about seven on and off campus concerts and festivals per year.
Notable performances have included
- 2012 Music for All National Festival
- 2012 Western Illinois University Showcase of Bands
- 2012 "Bands, Bows, and Brazil: Bringing Music and Culture to the Band Room" at the 2012 Illinois Music Educators Association State Conference with percussionist, Dr. Greg Beyer
- 2010 52nd Annual Band Music Reading and Clinic at Bowling Green State University (Ohio).
- 2009 Performance at the Illinois Music Educators Association State Conference
- 2008 Western Illinois University Showcase of Bands
Sharing the stage with soloists, conductors, clinicians, and artists is an integral part of the Metamora Wind Ensemble program. The Metamora Wind Ensemble has accompanied Chicago-based operatic soprano, Linden Christ, percussionist Dr. Greg Beyer, and trumpet player, Chief Musician Kelly Watkins of U.S. Coast Guard Band and tuba artist and composer, Dr. Thomas Bough. The ensemble has worked under the baton of a host of conductors including composers, David Maslanka, Quincy Hilliard, and Robert Sheldon and college conductors such as Frank Wickes, Mike Fansler, Gary Smith, Ronnie Wooten, Steve Steele, and Linda Morehouse.
The 2012-13 school year will have the ensemble hosting the acclaimed piano duo of Ed and Janet Kaizer. The ensemble is also excited to begin work with composer Kevin Bobo and steel pan virtuoso, Liam Teague together embarking on a new commission for steel pan and wind ensemble. The piece will be premiered in the 2013-14 school year.